Symposia and conferences
Apart from ad-hoc conferences and workshop on specific topics, two main events are held regularly in the framework of the Trilateral Wadden Sea Cooperation (TWSC): The International Scientific Wadden Sea Symposium (every 3-4 years) and the Wadden Sea Day (annually).
International Scientific Wadden Sea Symposium
The International Scientific Wadden Sea Symposium takes place every few years in the forefront of the Trilateral Governmental Conference. It is organised by the Wadden Sea state that at that time holds the Cooperation's presidency. The Symposium traditionally provides a forum for scientists who are active in and around the Wadden Sea to contribute their research results and to involve themselves in the Cooperation. The purpose of the symposium is to report on the state of the Wadden Sea from a scientific point of view and to give prospects for the future. Recent symposia with links to their documents are listed below:
- 2021 | Büsum (D): Event overview and illustrations
- 2017 | Tønder (DK): Event overview, programme and abstracts
- 2013 | Leeuwarden (NL)
- 2009 | Wilhelmshaven (D)
- 2005 | Esbjerg (DK)
Wadden Sea Day
The Wadden Sea Day is a conference with strong networking character held annually on the last Thursday of August in Wilhelmshaven (D). The Day has been organised since 2006 with current topics by the Common Wadden Sea Secretariat and the National Park Authority “Niedersächsisches Wattenmeer”. Recent years with links to their documments are listed below:
- 2023: Put the Wadden Sea’s Biodiversity on the path to recovery!
- 2022: Who eats whom? Trophic relationships and their implications for monitoring and management
- 2021: Global Cooperation in a Changing World - Wadden Sea Flyway Initiative
- 2019: World Heritage Interpretation – How to transfer knowledge on the Wadden Sea World Heritage
- 2018: Natural forces and human impact